Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Hair Regimen

I just got back from NYC yesterday morning, so I am pretty drained. I worked a little this morning, did some cleaning, and now I'm doing my fav... Blogging!

Okay so before I went away, my hair was really giving me grief. I'd just taking out some braids, and I really didn't take the time I should have to moisturize and deep condition my hair. I currently have extensions because I am doing a bit of traveling. I didn't want the weather to kill my hair. But after the traveling dies down, I will continue my hair regimen. My regimen consists of moisturizing, deep conditioning, and low heat combination. I use a sulfate free shampoo, one plain conditioner, one deep conditioner, and oil.

My hair is a combination between tight curls, loose curls, and wavy curls. I know crazy. The frizziest part of my hair is definitely the crown of my head. It is awful in heat, rainy, and windy weather. I start to look like a poodle.

Okay, so I'm going to share with you my hair care regimen. This regimen really came as a trail and error for about 3-4 months. I went through so much to find out what really worked for my hair. And it was worth it!

The first thing I want to give you is the list of my products.
1. Aveeno sulfate free shampoo 
2. Organic Root STimulator Replenishing Conditioner
3. Any wire brush
4. Optimum Deep Conditioning Masque

The first thing I do is brush out my hair. I never put water on my hair if it's not brushed out first. I use a wire brush like the one above to brush from the ends to the roots, very gently, removing any knots in my hair. 

After I detangle, I drench my hair in water. I usually wash my hair in the kitchen sink so I can focus on just that. If I wash my hair in the shower, it tends to get to tangly because I am not taking the time I need, fearing that the water will get cold! lol

After drenching, I apply shampoo. I like to lather one good time. I usually wash twice, but if I see my hair is not as dirty, and lathers quick, I don't wash a second time because I need those natural oils in my hair. 

Once washed, I immediately turn the water to cold. I rinse the shampoo out, and apply the conditioner from the roots down. Some people say you shouldn't condition your ends, but I don't understand why not. I do. Put a plastic cap on your head. For about 15 minutes. You can sit under the dryer or not, I choose to sit under the dryer for about 10 minutes and walk around doing nothing for the next 5 minutes. (I have slight ADD) 

Wash the conditioner out with cold water, as cold as you can stand it. Then apply the deep conditioner. I like the Optimum masque. I tried it one day and feel in love. I sit under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes with a plastic cap on my head. 

Okay, now that I washed, deep conditioned and detangled, for the most part, I can briefly dry my hair off with a towel. Not completely dry though, you may end up tangling too much. Dry just enough so your eyes can be water free. 

This is my favorite part. I section my hair off in 4-6 sections and brush through. Then I either twist, pin or braid it to keep it separated. Your pick. As long as the hair is separated, you're good. 

After all of the hair is separated, I blow dry. I blow dry my hair with a cold ion dryer. It's not hot at all. I do ths because I usually flat iron my hair, and double heat is just unnecessary. 

Section by section, blow dry each hair and put it back with either a scrunchie or a pin. You want to continue to separate it because it can pouf back out if you have curly hair. You don't want that to happen. 

After every section is down, you can style any way you like. 

Three or four days after you wash your hair, moisturize it with some type of light oil. I love castor oil. It seeps into my pores and it keeps my hair shiny and free from dandruff. 

Another thing, sleep with something on your hair. You want to go with silk or satin to protect your edges and hair from breakage! You can also use satin or silk pillow cases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment